From Sanctuary Shard
Mining is used to harvest ore, sand, gems, and necromancy reagents.
Mining for ore involves using a shovel or pickaxe on either mountain or cave tile. To discover higher levels of ore use a prospecting tool first. Shovels are preferred because they can be set to mine a wider variety of items other than ore. See the book skills listed below.
- Mining auto loops.
- You can sell most ingots to a vendor.
- Prospecting Tool
- In order to get Base Metal II ores, you will need to use a prospectors tool before you start digging. Using the context menu on the tool will bring up a list of the groups of ores that you can prospect for. This works just like the shovels, setting the tool to prospect from then on for that ore group until it is changed. These groups are defined on the Mining wiki page as well. Once you prospect a location with a specific ore group, that location will have a random ore from that group as well as iron.
- Dull Copper ore is easily mineable if you don't use a prospector's tool on a vein.
- For those new to UO
- Mining can be done near a mountain, or in a mine. To mine, click on the tool you will use (sturdy pickaxe or shovel), and then on minable rock or dirt. If it is not minable, you are probably not in the right spot, or are clicking on the wrong thing. You CANNOT mine dirt while outside, only while in a mine.
Base Metals I Base Metals II
- 0 skill to smelt & mine
- Dull Copper
- 65 skill to smelt & mine
- Brown Stone
- 72 skill to smelt & mine, has the same properties as OSI Bronze
- Cottage Gold
- 75 skill to smelt & mine, has the same properties as OSI Golden
- 75 skill to smelt & mine
- 80 skill to smelt & mine
- 70 skill to smelt & mine
- Iron Lilac
- 70 skill to smelt & mine, has the same properties as Shadow
- 85 skill to smelt & mine
- 90 skill to smelt & mine, has the same properties as OSI Agapite
- 95 skill to smelt & mine, has the same properties as OSI Verite
- 99 skill to smelt & mine
- Agapite is not a mineable ore, it is only found on Agapite Ore Elementals, but can be smelted with a skill of 90.
- The armor modification for each ore can be found on the Armor page.
- Various gems are minable when mining for ore.
Quality Stone for Crafting (Book Skill)
You can mine quality stone for crafting once you have reached 80 mining and have purchased the book "Mining for Quality Stone" from the Master Metalsmith. Then single click a shovel and set it to "Granite". You can mine granite from any location you can mine ore.
Stones come in a variety of colors.
Granite is not mined the same as stone is on OSI shards. All ore veins have a chance to produce multiple colors of granite, and the granite color is not dependent on the ore present in the vein.
Sand Mining (Book Skill)
You can mine quality sand once you have reached 80 mining and have purchased the book "Find Glass-Quality Sand" from the appropriate Master NPC. Target any sandy area to mine the sand.
Visceral Reaping (Book Skill)
Visceral Reaping is a book skill of Mining which can be trained at 80 skill and purchased from the appropriate Master NPC. Visceral Reaping will let you mine up Necromancy reagents. You will need a Cursed Shovel, craftable by Tinkers.
This is dangerous work as you may disturb underground creatures in your quest for these rare reagents.
- Double-click the cursed shovel and target swamp tiles to mine up blood worms and flesh-eating moss
- Target on a gravestone or decorative bones to mine up criminal bones, creeping lichen, devil's snare
- Note: targeting the ground near a gravestone or bones won't work. It has to be on the object.
- You can move up to 5 tiles away from your dig site to deal with creatures, without interrupting harvesting.
Skills on Sanctuary use our Grimmwold methods for skill training, including passive gains, 2 min timer activation, no difficulty checks, more than 1300 skill points using a .spec setting, and so on. In addition, you can purchase limited training from NPCs as well as advanced " book skills" both of which are available on Master NPCs. Read More ..
- Low skill levels can be trained by one of the Master NPCs.
- The books for crafting book skills can be purchased at the Master NPCs.
- Train by mining and smelting ore, smelting gains are slightly faster.