From Sanctuary Shard
On May 4th, 2020 we announced our intention to allow players to claim and control in-game land, not as guilds, but as individual Estate Owners. Previously, in-game land on the mainland of Cuiviénen could only be controlled by guilds (Noble Houses). The changes are planned for release in June-July of 2020. The programming plan can be found here.
- You will be able to go to the mainland, Cuiviénen, and using a sextant establish an estate. This process will place an estate stone, ask you to name your estate, and create a team for you in RPCSS where you will manage your estate.
- You will have control over the housing in your hexacre(s). You will be to choose a home to rent "nearly for free". (We have to figure out how this will actually work, so check back.)
- You will be able to evict other players living in your hexacre(s).
- You will get NPC henchmen to take hunting, attack other player armies with, and defend your land.
- You will get bonuses to resources and potentially unique resources.
- You will be able to release BODs to your Quarter Master which when completed will improve your armies initiative.
- You will be able to buy decoration and building upgrades with RPCSS gold bars. Guidelines:
- Much much more
You may request guards to be placed within the estates programmed guard zone. All estates should be set up with a 100x100 tile guard zone area. If yours is not please contact Lara. This zone should generally include such high traffic areas such as the bank, craft hall, taverns, town square, and your audience chamber.
NPCs and Spawns
At the time of this writing (5/10/20), I have reviewed the mainland spawns. A few got trimmed, most just got organized and renamed. I will be happy to talk to each new estate owner and make sure that they have a banker, a town crier, a postman, and other vendors suitable to their estate's decoration.
- I am also happy to review the lands around your estate to make sure they have location-appropriate birds, wild animals, domesticated animals.
- As well as few monsters, such as corpsers, which are naturally occurring in certain zones.
- The mainland currently doesn't have many other custom nooks and crannies, but our goal is to include those after all the fort upgrades are done.
- If you are looking for something special, such as a herd of unicorns I may require RPCSS gold for the rare spawn type. Feel free to discuss with me.
Until such time as we have scripted resources, the estate owners have generally agreed to this guideline for role-playing exports. This is optional.
Each estate should choose one food export, one necessary export, and one luxury export and those would be their main kingdom/region exports. Make choices that fit your location and culture. DM Lara with your 3 choices and she'll save the list to the staff boards.
Trade should take some RP effort, such as an RP post, or an ingame event. If you wish to do an ingame event then contact staff to arrange it. If you wish to do a post on the News and Rumors board, then DM Lara to get a random roll on the outcome.
- You must have an approved application.
- Sanctuary is a role-play shard. Cuiviénen is a RP-Required facet. So it should go without saying that we expect estate owners to role-play, not just play RPCSS like a single person sim game. We have no minimum expectations at this time but reserve the right to implement some if problems arise. For now, let's just understand that if you are not actually role-playing on the shard and on your estate owner we reserve the right to give your estate to someone who will.
If you want to know more about an estate's back story, you can also search their name in the News and Rumors Archive. If you find nothing, then you are probably free to be creative. Here are some suggestions.
- During the winter months, the populace of the estate were exposed to sickness and poor management by their lord. Many died, others took what meager possessions they had and left. With the disappearance of the lord, the serfs who remain look for someone to take the helm and lead them back to prosperity.
- Similar to the above, the ruling noble cared more about their own pockets than the health and livelihood of their peasants. One poor choice after another coupled with bad luck found them in deep debt, financially and with the nobility of other cities and holdings. Looking for a quick way out, they offer to sell their parents of nobility as well as their estate and surrounding lands to the highest (and quickest) bidder.
- After coming to these lands, you have seen how the natives are treated and you feel some sort of responsibility to providing them with a better life. Or maybe you think that seems to be the ticket and want to grab it for yourself. You challenge the current lord (a duel, a gamble, an election?) or maybe you just off them, and any who could claim succession, when no one is looking.
- In your exploration of these new lands you find a settlement that is long past its prime. You can't say when but it is evident by the state of rot and decay that no one has called this place home in years. Fancying yourself the leadership type, you set to work making repairs and soliciting locals to aid you in your endeavor, even convincing some that you would be a good and just lord.
- You've been here for sometime now; 1 year, 5 years, 10 years...long enough to have seen the battles that raged between the kingdoms, the famines that ravaged the land, perhaps even a time or two of peace when the promise of something better hung so tangibly in the summer air. You have grown weary of the back and forth of it all. The people deserve a sovereign who can unit the kingdoms and you know in the deepest recess of your being that you are the person to do it. Utilizing the reputation, resources, and relationships you have forged you make a grab for one of the more loosely held cities and begin your campaign to unit the realm or die trying.
- You've always been the lucky sort and one evening you just happened to make your way through the gates of a manor where childless liege lays waiting for whatever god cares to claim their soul. The only heir is a convolutedly distant relation whom no one in the holding seems to have ever met. Mistaking you for that heir you are quickly ushered to the seat of power before the cushion is even cold. Will the real heir show up to stack their claim? Only time will tell.
- To be frank, you simply do not like the person or people who are currently leading an estate and. Nothing would give you more pleasure than ousting them and claiming all they had worked for as your own. Maybe you were tricked by a fae once or humiliated by a dragon. Or maybe some Jarl decided to insult your honor. Whatever the case, the current climate of change and upheaval seems like the perfect opportunity to exact your revenge.
- You were always taught to be kind, to treat everyone with respect whether they're the lowest stable boy or the highest Queen. You made friends with the right people and when the leader of the estate steps down it is you who are offered the crown.
What do you need to know between now and ... the next time I give you instructions. :)
- Players who have reserved an estate can rent that estate for 1 gold. Please note that as of May 6th at 4:30 PM EST we've not done a map update yet and I still have brownstone castle multis scattered on the map, you can't give them the multi. They have to wait for the update. Tarnsted is an exception and I'll handle it.
- Each fort can have at least a banker and a postman, for now. No others are being added. I will be DE-spawning all castles of their other npcs as well. If you don't know how to set these up using the XML spawner, get help. (Obviously, the main capitals will keep their npcs in the city area, but not in the castle.)
- Check to see if the area has a guard zone set up. I know that I did all of the cities, as well as most of the other estates that were built before tonight's update. If you can't find a guard zone, let me know so I can set one up.
- You can place guards for the player within that zone. I don't remember the name of the guards we made, but I will find it and update this for you.